Monday, January 17, 2011

Kates Playaground Zip Set

On the road to Boston - History Genevieve

Saturday, January 8, I received just before I left for vacation a message via LinkedIn.

The message had been sent by Nelson Rioux and said among other things this:

Hello Patricia,

I'll convey the story of a friend that I trained for the marathon. She has a very similar take on: 4:00 am start of the season. Goal of qualifying for Boston Marathon in Toronto she has done.

would have followed an exchange with Nelson and Jennifer and ... with a few days late due to holidays ... I present to you Genevieve!

Genevieve Latour - runner and blogger invited
On the road to Boston



3:38 minutes and 50 seconds is the time it took to cover the distance 42.2 km at the Goodlife Fitness Marathon in Toronto on October 17 under a bright sun and a perfect temperature of 7 degrees at the start, allowing me to qualify for Boston in April 2011. It all started with a banal on LinkedIn

... After my victory in the Blue Nose Marathon
below 4h in May, I needed another challenge. And if I could get my time of fifteen minutes? And if I was aiming for Boston? 3:45:59, ambitious but achievable.

But it took me a plan. I told myself that the only way to make things even more concrete was to verbalize and share my goal, what I did on LinkedIn. And now suddenly comes in contact with me Rioux Nelson, a former colleague of Alcan, which offers me a personalized training plan called PROFILDM cyclides company. Their program seems very serious and promising then GO!

test intervals, test of VO2 (cardiorespiratory endurance) and I am left with a program developed tailored to my fitness level, 4 sessions per week, no less. Well, we can say that it works. Thank you to Nelson for his constant support and recommendations. This program was a revelation to me. 8 weeks training and I am qualified is an exceptional program.

the day, I was ready and very excited about the start line. I had your fill of 'carbs' the day before along with a couple of friends met in Egypt and I felt light as a feather. I had practiced visualization and it is consistently fitted with a merino wool sweater in lime green short sleeve, a slinky black pants racing (obviously better than that short a skirt), my beautiful purple low cut and purchased at Winners for making warm forearm and p'tits cropped black magic gloves after I crossed the starting line. After 5 miles, I pulled down the purple, removed the gloves and hop on the edge of the road passing near a water station. Ah yes, I was also equipped with two small flaws to ensure that water and Gatorade were in the right hole, allowing me also to continue to run while I was drinking (every second counts!). In

12th km, I tell myself that it's time for a bite p'tite. Woe! All my food is gone. My little ziplock 'pinna' had opened from below and rice crispies square pieces of granola bar and had vanished. Shit. No fuel to the 26th km, where I could catch the flying of PowerGel I do not like but coudonc, Plan B, huh, must adapt to the situation. I take my pain with patience, I draw energy from I-don't-know-too-where, my pasta of the day I guess. Made here, I pray heaven to fall on a 'pouch' with vanilla or chocolate if it had to be more a flavor that I do not like, that's it, I'm cooked. Bingo, vanilla, I took two, I did not take any chances.

To my surprise, the first 20 km were extremely smoothly, I felt that I was only doing 5 or 6. But it was spoiled a bit. Around the 26th, as usual, nausea takes me. 30-32e, renewed energy, 8th (?) Blows, but I knew what to expect soon: the wall, the famous wall that always happens. Boum, 39th km, my brain decides that enough is enough, the limit is reached, the wall is literally falling over myself. But I can not stop, I went that far. Ok, strategy, strategy, go, 1-2, 1-2, think of all those who love you, think Andre is in Labrador, your family, your friends, think of all those who can not make the exercise because of their health or the war in their country, think of all the training, said in Boston. And most importantly, keeps the focus on the riders ahead of you to continue them as well. More than 2 miles, longer than 1, more than 600 meters, 400, 200, I see the finish line. I was completely tired, but not this time, it is not the eyes that swim in the water as I crossed the 'finish line' but squarely into tears. I qualified for Boston with a head start and still on my two legs. Your

Bib 1436, live from Halifax, his heart swelling and medal in the bag (see photo, she is as big as my head!) ... Well, I hope my head is not swollen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment