Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Side Effects Grecian Formula

Perseverance - the story of Alain

When I wrote my first post , some of you asked me to become guest bloggers, time of a ticket or two. ; I also launched a few invitations ...

also Sylvie's blog, mom marathoner, features portraits of riders that I found very interesting by the common bonds that we found between the stories, they are also different.

I present the first of those guests who will, hopefully, many to share their stories, their experiences and knowledge.

Alain Tremblay - Rider and guest blogger
Perseverance

A simple word that ended up doing part of the vocabulary of all runners. For me it is the reflection of a lifetime. I realized one day that this word that often used when describing the marathon becomes a reflection of our personality in every moment of our existence.

When I was 5 I was wearing shoes, boots should I say, for allowing me to walk normally because it seems I had flat feet. At 14, I got into my head that I'd be able to run long distances if I wanted, but it was only a brief foray into the world of running. Without equipment, without a goal I was going nowhere.

In 1980, then aged 23, a friend advised me jogging to restore a nasty ankle fracture who had stopped for six months. A mile was long. But I thought I should continue in order not to remain disabled. I continued. Two, three, five kilometers. I discovered the small racing weekend, and I myself have made friends. "Hey, do you train with us? It is the Montreal Marathon in September "..." Uh, why not? "When you're young we said something stupid.

I put myself in training, pain and misery, I presented the morning of September 1981 and ran the first 33 miles without stopping. But of course there's the wall, is not it? Everyone tells me it is normal to have trouble at 33 th kilometer, then it is normal that I have, right?

Like many riders I walked, but I suffered a lot, and I told myself that I never manage to finish this race, even crawling. I market, quietly, and then hid behind the pain and pride. I went back to run and thus ended my first marathon. All in a little over 5 hours. But what a feeling! I defeated the monster of the race, I felt suddenly somebody else, and of course I saw myself participating in Boston.

I continued my training. That year the marathon changed its date for May 30 It was enough to continue running. In the month of October after having had the nasty idea to run two hours in car I rush to the pursuit of a friend who ran the marathon, I suffered a knee tendinitis. The pain was excruciating and I had trouble walking. I consulted two doctors, both told me the same thing: "You are not made to run." "Uh, is that I just finished a marathon me here?"

My past caught up with my foot flat it? I could not convince the accuracy of diagnosis. How could I train all these months if I was suffering from such a handicap? I searched the phone number of a guy who had the game of Quebec: "Hi, you know me, but I know you're an athlete. I train for the marathon and I have an injury. All the doctors tell me to stop, but I do not think they are right. Do you have a suggestion for a doctor who knows them better runners? "

He gave me an address, a sports clinic on Frontenac, at the other end of town the Lachine I was but it was worth it. I went in 20 minutes I was suggested orthotics, treated with ultrasound and advised to wait two days before resuming training. Morality, see a doctor who knows whereof he speaks.

So I resumed training. But I had lost a little over a month of preparation. I have to give a time under 4 hours but it was still my best time with a little more than 4: 10 pm.

Despite my persistence in training in the following years, I've never managed to do better for the marathon. Life caught up with me and obligations and that I completed a few marathons under 5:00. Although little satisfaction. We become demanding with himself.

In 1993 I intend to get back seriously. Training on and off in previous years, age and bad habits had made me gain weight. So I decided to lose 30 pounds and run under 4 hours in the same year. I started my diploma in night school and I ran back to the university. Unfortunately, the Spartan regime improvised and which I am bound (not controlled by one or an expert) was correct in my determination. A little over a month before the marathon, I cracked. Complete exhaustion, more strength, dizziness and over again. Result, total cessation of training. Morality, for plans, follow the advice of experts.

On the morning of September, I told myself that I had not quite for nothing, and I showed up at the start. What misery, my second worst time.

Finally, one morning in January 1994 I left my house, noting that it was less than twenty have turned on his heel and returned home. The race was over.

Hoping to find me another sport I dabbled cycling, tennis, but nothing did. I did a little exercise for a few weeks then I stopped. I gained weight.

In 2004, I had a friend who has taken up jogging. I kept telling him stories of my old race and she finally had to bite the sport. I promised to get back into training and go run with it. In August we went to a few miles together and I left feeling more beautiful. I found the flame.

But a nasty bump started to push me on the thigh. I thought I had " too forced a muscle. " My friend told me to consult, but I procrastinate. It took me by force to the clinic. Verdict: "you have either a lymphoma or a tumor." The bomb.

This text is already long enough, I'll spare you some details but I underwent chemo and radiation for nearly a year. During this period I often said to my oncologist, "I look forward to having the strength to run." And I me got back. Slowly, very slowly. I managed to make small distances, I lacked strength and was nothing short of breath than 2 km run but I was happy. In September 2005, I ran the 5 kilometers from the marathon trials Oasis, along with my 15 year old son, who was there to support her father.

However, I am able to really get back to coaching in 2008. This time, I did not put any pressure. I told myself that I was running just to get in shape. No weight loss in sight, no sight distance.

I left, I made an initial 5 km a little over a month later. I continued to run 3-4 times a week. Without stopping. In September 2009, I ran a half marathon with my son who is now 20 years. He pushed me to train for the marathon in 2010. This was the worst time of all my marathons, I closed the procession of runners (I'm not the last, we must believe that some runners - walkers were walking on the sidewalks). I never thought I'd be in a This situation in my life.

But the fact remains that I resumed training, a 5 km under 30 minutes in October and since I maintain that pace. My next goal, 10 below 60 minutes
.
This is not fast, but it's nice to know that we are able to run while others are stuck in their beds. Perseverance is something we decide is how we respond to adversity. All my life I have had moments where I told myself, why I embarked on the inside? Or ... How will I get out? And whenever I told myself, before I got there, I can do it again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment